Saturday, July 16, 2016

Day 77: The Rocks of PA

7/5: Leroy Smith Shelter - Delaware Water Gap
Mile: 1272.9 - 1293 (20.1 miles)

The first 12 miles really got to me today. I woke up early to mist and the patter of rain. But I wanted to get to town so no point hanging around.



Strange doorways in fields could be a magical start, but really they just introduced me to miles and miles of rocks.


At least the rain makes everything pretty. I don't take a lot of pictures because I'm tired and the miles seem to stretch forever. I think there are a million rocks but sometimes miles are tricky and it's not as bad as it seems. Either way it feels like forever to get anywhere.


Down to Wind Gap, I'm not sure I'll ever get used to crossing major roads all the time.


I'm not sure I'm comforted or sad that I have 916 miles to go?


At least the rain means millions more of these little guys. I'm pretty sure I'll never get sick of them.


There are some nice stretches, it's still rolling wet climbs but I really love the green.


The inevitable rocks that stab the sides of your feet and cause me to hop graceless through when they're wet. It's long and as far as the eye can see rocks. Ugh


The trail gives lovely views and the rocks are just slick enough that I almost fall very badly. Someone has spray painted curse words on one of the boulders and I'm right there with them.


The very last big Boulder descent of the day is when I slip the worst. Slamming my hands into rock I curse and thankfully manage to not actually hit the ground. I can't believe how genuinely thrilled I am to see a long dirt fire road.





The farmland views are lovely and the long trek down to the Delaware Water Gap is hot but full of rhododendrons and a beautiful cold creek.


Town is small and quaint. I grab my new shoes from the post office, set my tent up at the church hostel and meet a million new hikers. Quite the change from my long hard morning to this loveliness.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment